A lifelong dream,
once experienced can be a difficult thing to recapture. Especially
after a long period of time. Aaron Murphy found himself in such a
situation and, when the opportunity presented itself again, his
reluctance would not be easily overcome. Maybe, not at all?
from Chapter 11 - Top of the Sixth
The two headed down the steps to their seats where they saw the coach and Matt standing at the edge of the dugout.
As soon as Aaron made eye contact, the coach spoke up. “Aaron Murphy. Mike Brown. I'm the pitching coach for the Indians. How’s that arm of yours feeling?”
“Huh?” Aaron would have dropped the nachos but Shalene quickly stopped the descent as she steadied his hand. She then proceeded to take the soda and hot dog, as well as the nachos from Aaron, putting them on top of the dugout.
Mike smiled, “Nice catch!”
While moving the food down, Shalene smiled and glanced toward the coach. “Thanks.” Mike then turned to Aaron. “You played some years back.”
“Yeah.” Aaron responded, looking at Matt annoyed.
“I seem to remember you had a lot of promise. Matt here says you had an arm injury.” “That's right.” Aaron faced Matt. “What’s going on?”
Mike Brown responded matter-of-fact. “How would you like to try and come back? You’re, what, twenty-eight? That’s not too old. Plus, from the looks of you, you're keeping in shape.” Aaron stood stiff from shock. “Look, I’m not sure what Matt said to you but I don’t intend to try and start things backup with baseball.”
“I understand. How about this. Matt here has your cell, right?”
“Yep.” Aaron said sharply while staring at Matt who now ducked back into the dugout, as if someone called him down.
Mike continued, “Why don’t I have him call and we’ll go from there?”
“Honestly, Mike, I don’t know that I’m worth anything now.”
“Well then it’ll be a good time for you two to catch up.”
“That would be about it, I think.”
“Great!” Responded Mike, as if he heard a different answer. “Enjoy the game and I hope we’ll be talking again soon.”
“Nice meeting you.”
Matt popped up from the dugout again, only his eyes and fingers visible. “Aaron, I’ll give you a call, okay?”
“Sounds good. And we'll definitely talk then.” Aaron replied to clarify his displeasure.
FINAL NOTE FROM THE AUTHOR: I've never found myself in such a situation, mainly, because I've never found myself so naturally gifted at something to warrant such attention. Part of me thinks, however, that if I did end up with a situation of being re-discovered, I would jump at the opportunity to try again. Then again, if I was able to live a dream -- like writing professionally, for example -- and if I had to stop for a period of time due to failure, I wonder if I could battle back to the top and try again, especially, if my reasons for staying away surrounded a situation similar to Aaron's. What situation you might ask? That's a question better asked after reading the story, the only way to have a full understanding of what our pasts can do to our future.
More To Come.....
from Chapter 11 - Top of the Sixth
The two headed down the steps to their seats where they saw the coach and Matt standing at the edge of the dugout.
As soon as Aaron made eye contact, the coach spoke up. “Aaron Murphy. Mike Brown. I'm the pitching coach for the Indians. How’s that arm of yours feeling?”
“Huh?” Aaron would have dropped the nachos but Shalene quickly stopped the descent as she steadied his hand. She then proceeded to take the soda and hot dog, as well as the nachos from Aaron, putting them on top of the dugout.
Mike smiled, “Nice catch!”
While moving the food down, Shalene smiled and glanced toward the coach. “Thanks.” Mike then turned to Aaron. “You played some years back.”
“Yeah.” Aaron responded, looking at Matt annoyed.
“I seem to remember you had a lot of promise. Matt here says you had an arm injury.” “That's right.” Aaron faced Matt. “What’s going on?”
Mike Brown responded matter-of-fact. “How would you like to try and come back? You’re, what, twenty-eight? That’s not too old. Plus, from the looks of you, you're keeping in shape.” Aaron stood stiff from shock. “Look, I’m not sure what Matt said to you but I don’t intend to try and start things backup with baseball.”
“I understand. How about this. Matt here has your cell, right?”
“Yep.” Aaron said sharply while staring at Matt who now ducked back into the dugout, as if someone called him down.
Mike continued, “Why don’t I have him call and we’ll go from there?”
“Honestly, Mike, I don’t know that I’m worth anything now.”
“Well then it’ll be a good time for you two to catch up.”
“That would be about it, I think.”
“Great!” Responded Mike, as if he heard a different answer. “Enjoy the game and I hope we’ll be talking again soon.”
“Nice meeting you.”
Matt popped up from the dugout again, only his eyes and fingers visible. “Aaron, I’ll give you a call, okay?”
“Sounds good. And we'll definitely talk then.” Aaron replied to clarify his displeasure.
FINAL NOTE FROM THE AUTHOR: I've never found myself in such a situation, mainly, because I've never found myself so naturally gifted at something to warrant such attention. Part of me thinks, however, that if I did end up with a situation of being re-discovered, I would jump at the opportunity to try again. Then again, if I was able to live a dream -- like writing professionally, for example -- and if I had to stop for a period of time due to failure, I wonder if I could battle back to the top and try again, especially, if my reasons for staying away surrounded a situation similar to Aaron's. What situation you might ask? That's a question better asked after reading the story, the only way to have a full understanding of what our pasts can do to our future.
More To Come.....
No comments:
Post a Comment